Count d’Argenson’s Apartment

At the foot of the staircase begins the apartment of Count d’Argenson, which later became the residence of Marquis de Voyer. Access is granted through a vestibule adorned with two beautiful Baroque twisted columns that mark the entrance to the apartment. Beyond this, an antechamber leads to the library on the right and the former count’s bedroom on the left.

The bedroom has retained its alcove, wardrobe, and lavatory arranged on either side. The current owner has refurbished the library to restore some of its former splendor. Originally divided into three large rooms by Marquis Marc-René-Marie d’Argenson during the Consulate, it lost its prestigious collection in 1978. Under Count Marc-Pierre d’Argenson, one of the eminent bibliophiles of his time, the library housed over 6,600 volumes. After the most valuable ones were ceded to Marquis de Paulmy in 1764, now preserved in the National Library of France in Paris, the library was supplemented with works from Marquis de Voyer in the late 18th century, those of his daughter-in-law Sophie de Rosen in 1801, and other acquisitions. By the early 20th century, the library consisted of approximately 8,000 volumes!

The current owner patiently restored these three rooms in the 2000s: the middle room (salon) retains its 18th-century rococo fireplace, while the fireplace in the last room (dining room) dates back to the 19th century.