Argenson wing

The Argenson wing, on the left side of the courtyard and symmetrical to the Pussort wing, was erected by Pierre Meusnier in 1762-1763. Like the Pussort wing, it was intended for the offices and accommodations of Count Marc-Pierre d’Argenson’s domestic staff. In return, it was endowed with a vast pavilion that played, in the 18th century, the same function of hosting the castle’s guests as the one opposite. The central pavilion of the Argenson wing provides access, through a carriage entrance, to the location of the former village of Les Ormes. It was also adorned with a bull’s-eye medallion, which remained blind, complemented at the end of the 19th century by two angels and a cloud overflowing onto the base of the pediment following the prevailing neo-Baroque taste.

Behind this wing and the pavilion of the new offices and kitchens, you can catch a glimpse of the neo-Romanesque church erected in 1894-1896, replacing the old 18th-century church that had become dilapidated and cramped. Surprisingly, it harmonizes with the central pavilion of the castle, despite its 18th-century style and being built ten years later, due to its whiteness.